Friday, September 19, 2008

Drive to Utah

Friday

The day started late.  The family slept in and needed it.  We packed an old well used cooler that the Williams’ set aside for us.  They insisted we have food and drinks before we crossed the desert.  Sue and Rick were gone when we awoke, but they told us all of the stuff we needed before we went to bed.  I am still amazed at their hospitality.

We packed things up and took care of the beds.  I called my cell from their phone, so we’d have their contact number.  The kids were buzzing all around, and Daniel lost his batman toy from Burger King.  He was distraught for the whole drive, frequently asking what happened to it and where it was.   

I found that in a Toyota Highlander, the room is quite limited, and many tricks were used to actually fit the gear inside.   I let Joseph drive the vehicle.  He backed it into the driveway, and felt like a hero.  I just felt relieved he didn't hit the gas when he was supposed to hit the brake.  I am still conflicted about teaching him to drive, but ultimately, my business is a dangerous one, and I want to be the guy who taught him.

 

The drive was a road trip adventure, and reminded me why I love that particular dynamic.  Daniel’s feet stank.  Reeked.  We had to roll the windows down, spray his shoes and feet, wipe his feet, and eventually throw away his shoes.  I looked at him and said, “Say bye, bye to your old shoes.”    He smiled and did so.  Thankfully, Gina packed another pair. 

 

Daniel Quote:

“Dad, you have to shoot ‘chubby’ animals with shovel bullets.” 

I asked, “What is a chubby animal?”

“You know, elephants.  And hippos.”

 

Funny.

We stopped at Rye Patch Dam.  I have passed it twice on the same drive, and wanted to see it.  I expected to see water spilling over the dam or something similar, but the dam had very little water in it.  We were on a kind of bluff, and the kids loved throwing rocks over the edge.   One rock at a time was too tedious, so Daniel started throwing handfuls.  Oh, and Gina loved the display board that spelled out bird calls.  I think she tried them all.  Her owl call was convincing, but the others were... well, entertaining. 

On the long open road, games become essential.  I opt for the non-electric, communal type games, but they require so much more thought and interaction.  They are mentally tiring.  Thankfully, the kids know a few and are good at trying to keep them going.   

Joseph made up a game called ‘The Crow Game”.  When you see a crow, be the first to call it out, and you get one point.  Person with the most points wins.  Simple.  Like avian Slug Bug.  So, I made up a game called “The Dead Crow Game”.  Same rules, but the crows don’t move as much.  The next game I made up was “The Green Bush Game”.  It lasted about 15 seconds, and made me laugh much longer.  I saw a few; Joseph saw a million.  I saw a million and one; Joseph saw a million and two.  I saw whatever Joseph saw plus one; he saw whatever I saw plus two.  I was about to up the ante when Gina put the Kibash on the game.  Short lived, but fun.

Gina fell asleep and I quickly found out that the Toyota Highlander has a governor set at 112 mph.  I also discovered that cruise control works at 110.  Nice.  Gina insisted on driving from the Utah/Nevada border the rest of the way.  (She had been pulled over just short of Reno, so was nervous I think.)  I didn’t tell her how fast I had gone till later. 

We got in late, stopped at mom’s to get my bag, and went to Jason’s.  We crashed.

No comments: