Monday, September 15, 2008

Trip to Chungyeongno

I went to Seoul alone.  I was looking for the LDS chapel there.  I thought it'd be tough, but hoped I'd find it.  So, I got on the bus to the Metro.  I felt really unnerved traveling alone for the first time here.  I noticed a few people who were not native, but none were white.  They came from other Asiatic or Middle Eastern countries.  No problem.

I caught the blue line to Seoul and got off at Chungyeongno Station.  I had to transfer at City Hall to get there.  When I worked my way out of the winding tunnels and surfaced, I was completely disoriented.  I had no idea which was was north, and I had no detailed map that would help me out.  I suppressed and immediate urge to turn and get on the subway back to Uijeongbu.  

I started walking, slowly at first, then a little quicker.  I stopped at a store... family mart or something.  I got a water and a little candy bar.  I had wanted to use the little Korean I know, but didn't.  I used English.  I felt so apprehensive, and I am not sure exactly why.  So... no communication.

I wandered around town and found the French Consulate, and a few other shops.  I found some dark alleyways, and wandered around in them for a while.  I didn't feel threatened in them because the had many little shops that were basically the front room of hundreds of adjoining houses.  Fun, but they were all closed.  I felt more uneasy as the darkness thickened, and eventually left for the streetside where neon lights fought back the black.  

I didn't find the church.  I found others, because they all tend to have neon red crosses on top.  I assume that the LDS does not.  If I passed it, or saw it, I am not aware of having done so.  

The trip was not unsuccessful.  I am more at ease alone in Seoul.  (Not to be interpreted as being 'at ease', just not as nervous.)  Also, I am more confident on the public transportation, and in my abilities to navigate and survive.  

On the way back to base, I stopped in Uijeongbu and wandered about.  I discovered that it is an extensive shopping district with a fish market, many stores and a lot of people.  I got off the bus I was using to get to base, and wandered about.  I found a nearby intersection and only explored the streets shooting off of it, but was still impressed.  I need to return during the day.


No comments: