Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday, busy Sunday

Busy.  Today was a day filled with visits and driving.  First, my mom's house, then Grandma and Grandpa H, then Cheston's, and finally visiting with Jason.  Notable things happened at each stop.  I'll just highlight a few.  

Mom's house is actually Buster's house.  When Daniel found out where we were going, he clarified by saying, "We're going to Buster's house?"  He was so funny with that dog.  He'd sit down next to it, and say, "You're such a good boy!  You are a good dog.  Good boy!"  He reminds me of Rebecca with Izzy-Barbara (our last dog.)

We went to Gma and Gpa H's, where Grandpa graciously gave my kids a tour of the garden.  I have always loved his garden.  He patiently answered questions, and even helped Rhianna and Rebecca pick ripe zucchini, and each of the kids got to pick some rhubarb.  They loved it.  We also spent quite a long time posing for photos.  I prefer candid photos with everyone in them, but Grandma knew what she wanted, and we all adjusted.  She knows a few things... like backlighting is bad, and how to get an angry 4 year old to smile.  I thought the whole posing adventure was fun, though Daniel didn't like it when I pulled his hair.  (Sometimes my 4 year old self gets control of the reigns.)

I loved seeing Cheston.  He's the only friend I have remained in contact with for the last few years.  Our kids all split up and played along gender lines.  Eventually, the boys started to attack and tease the girls.  I think that's unavoidable.  

At Jason's we pulled up to see my brother straddling Jayden on the front lawn.  He didn't want to go home and had lost control of himself, so Jason restrained him.  After a few words, I picked him up and started running with him.  He'd try to stop every so often, but I would position his body so that he would fall if he stopped and we'd keep running.  He didn't like it.  In fact, I wouldn't like it either.  After about 300 feet, he stopped and I was able to talk to him.  He have me a big hug, arms and legs, and we walked back to Jason's like that.  I talked to him about helicopters to calm him down.  Near the end, I said, "I have to run in the army, so if you need to run some more, I will run with you."  I then returned to the helicopters and promised to send a book.  I will be looking for one this weekend.  He held that body hug the whole way back.  He was very apologetic, and wanted everyone to know that was very sorry.  

In my opinion, when that kid finds whatever it is he likes to do, sports, science, construction... he'll excel at it.

Lastly I stayed up till 0100 packing and loading the New Testament read by Johnny Cash into my iTunes.

1 comment:

Tylers story said...

You know what I noticed and love about your family?, is that you guys are there for each other. You all know what it is like to have your children be without their dad and you pitch in and help. That story about Jayden just goes to show what love is all about. All of you are great examples! Thank you for sharing that!

Lisa